Rent a Sheep!
Experience the warmth, comfort, and durability of a natural wool blanket from the wool of a flock that includes your own Dorset sheep, a beloved member of a shepherd's cooperative.
- It all starts with the tender care we take of the sheep of your choice.
- Sheep are first sheared in April (they get a second shearing if their fleece gets too long).
- In the hands of skilled weavers and true craftsmen, the wool is carefully washed without the use of solvents, bleaches, moth-proofing or harsh chemicals to detract from the distinctive qualities of pure virgin wool (nature's premier fiber).
- The un-dyed wool is then carded, spun, woven, and napped into natural, custom-woven blankets.
- Our three progress reports will keep your recipient up-to-date on the tender care of their sheep, connecting them to the land and the flock.
Order a Sheep Lease now or read on for more information.
Fleece does not come in the solid colors associated with bleached and dyed wool. You will find a hint of gray here or there, your guarantee that your wool is completely natural.
The Merrimac Valley mill (in the heart of the 19th century textile industry) is a five-generation family-owned operation, with a vivid history and excellent reputation. Your gift of a Sheep Lease supports local craftsmen who apply their skills (honed in an industry now sadly in decline) to antique machinery and natural fibers to create an heirloom that will be appreciated and enjoyed for generations.
Sheep =Oregon Ranch Weaver =Merrimac Valley (MA)
Blankets delivered August
100% natural wool blanket
The Lease program includes:
- A beautifully designed & personalized (parchment-look) lease document that is sent to your recipient.
- An announcement folder (inscribed with your gift message) that describes the many benefits of your gift.
- Entertaining & informative progress reports (& an optional photo) to keep them up-to-date on the flock, farm, & mill.
- Upon completion of the harvest, the blanket is delivered to their door.
- Satisfaction & bountiful yields are guaranteed.
We do all the work and you get all the raves (while helping support America's small family farms and craftsmen).
V.M. Kirtland, OH
Favorite Farm Basket
From the backroad farmstands of New England comes a generous sampling of Nature's bounty! The peck-sized basket is a real Yankee carry-all, packed to the brim with: a waxed wheel of Vermont Cheddar (8 oz.), Vermont Cow Cocoa (16 oz.), wild Maine blueberries (3.5 oz.), nutmeg grater and whole nutmeg, pure Maple Syrup (1/2 pint jug), stone-ground Buttermilk & Honey Pancake Mix (1½ pound sack), pure Blueberry Honey (16 oz. jar) and a 1 oz. Tin of "Bag Balm" - the best thing ever for chapped hands, a Yankee "cosmetic". (Note: Equal or greater value substitutions may be made to expedite delivery.)